CURRENT ARCHAEOLOGICAL INFORMATION
FROM ENGLISH HERITAGE
MAST QUAY, FORMER WOOLWICH DOCKYARD,
CHURCH ROAD, WOOLWICH.
In or around 1512 Henry VIII established a Royal Dockyard in Woolwich which was closed down in 1869. The dockyard had been engaged in the construction and repair of naval vessels. The archaeologists’ watching brief uncovered evidence for 10 phases of activity, beginning in the 18th century. Various timber revetments of this period were shown to have been made re-used ships timbers and construction scraps, demonstrating that cost was an issue in manufacture. We also noted further revetments, two ragstone slipway walls, cobbled surfaces and drainage elements. Historically the dockyard is known to have been frequently modified and altered. This evidence is supported by the archaeological data. Interesting details of shipwrights, carpenters etc. craft activities were identified as well as information on the navy's wood procurement strategies.
We found no remains of archaeological importance, apart from noting the possible abandoned course of the
In one trench a 19th century boundary ditch was found, showing the area for agriculture or pasture in post medieval times.
On the south bank, at Wood Wharf, Horseferry Place/Thames Street, Greenwich a record was made of the below ground Engine Room that served the Greenwich Steam Ferry, which ran from 1888 to 1900. Steam power was needed to move two carriages and the landing stage on rails up and down a concrete ramp on the foreshore to meet the ferry boats and to cope with the tidal range. The cable haulage system was complex and the ferry not a commercial success.
Another season of fieldwork has revealed well-preserved evidence for the industrial development of the site from the 19th to 20th century Deposits of reworked alluvial clay in the middle of the site revealed two 18th-century cannon in very good condition. It is likely that both had been brought to the Royal Arsenal for proofing, had failed, and then been recycled as mooring posts. In the north of the site, layers of wood shavings and bark may be evidence for the use of the site as Timber Field, for seasoning, in the middle of the 19th century In the northwestern corner; remains were found of the 1870s Boiler House that powered a steam hammer; the anvil of which was found in the Phase 2 works. The remains of the building were extensive, consisting of brick flues and boiler base supports founded on timber piles. To the east of the Boiler House, contemporary remains of the Rolling Mill were found, including brick-built furnaces and a chimney base. Evidence was seen for the reworking of the Rolling Mill, presumably reflecting advances in manufacturing technology. The substantial structural remains of the south Boring Mill were found. A variety of external features survived too, including cobbled surfaces and bogey tracks. While the remains were consistent with those found of previous the South Boring Mill in Zone 22, it was noticeable that the actual lathe beds in the eastern side of the mill had been removed for the installation of the ground slab of a later building. This shows the change of function of this part of the South Boring Mill. The external elements of the South Boring Mill had been superseded by the 20th-century reworking of Street No 10.
Recording of the
at the Royal Arsenal,Woolwich took place
on this historically important structure. One of the first purpose-built
chemical laboratories, it
was the home to many major military
developments including that of cordite. The building in altered principally
through lain extensions, and it was possible
to record a number of items such as
former fume cupboards, exposed by
plaster as well as blocked doorways and other
architectural features. Chemical Department Building