Monday, 25 February 2013

Bad smells on Greenwich Marsh


This article appeared in Bygone Kent in July 1996  - as development began on what we still called Greenwich Marsh with what were to call the Millennium Dome.  It largely deals with the construction of the gas works in the 1880s
 
BAD SMELLS ON GREENWICH MARSH

The announcement has been made that the Greenwich peninsula - once known as Greenwich marsh - is to be the site of the Millennium exhibition. The world has seen pictures of it on TV, showing George Livesey's giant gasholder and putting across the message that this is a derelict area in need of cleaning.  We have heard dramatic descriptions of the general air of decay, the pollution, the smell. This, they say, is a dirty smelly place, waiting to be reclaimed.  Was it always like this, or was it once pleasant, green, countryside? It is instructive to discover that, in 1881 before the gas works was built, people felt just the same about the Greenwich peninsula as they do today. It was 'a sodden wilderness of decrepit wharves, forsaken factories, and melancholy marsh'. 
 
The South Metropolitan Gas Company obtained the Act of Parliament necessary for them to build a new 'super' gas works on 140 acres of Greenwich marsh in December 1880. Discussions were already underway with the local authority on the new plant and its layout. It had been agreed that the purifying plant, thought to be  the smelliest part of the works, should be placed on the northern most tip of Blackwall Point . This would ensure that smells were kept from Greenwich, while wafting over the Isle of Dogs.
 
A number of other people had plans for Greenwich peninsula in the 1880s. The gas company were aware of schemes for docks and a railway, planned by the South Eastern Railway. Coles Child, who had recently died, had operated a large riverside site, dealing in coal, cement and lime. He had owned many acres of marshland which his executors thought had potential for housing. Mrs. Fryer, with a parcel of land next to the proposed works thought so too. Both  thought  the gas works would not make a good neighbour.
 
It was difficult  to see that much of the peninsula would be suitable for housing. Indeed, the whole area was waterlogged - it was after all called 'Greenwich Marsh' and lay six feet below high water.  Although the river was kept out by a dyke around most of the area, on the eastern side, where Mrs. Fryer's land was, there was  no river wall and the bank ran out into muddy shallows. Much of the land was covered by water during high tides. The area was crossed by innumerable ditches, full of water up to about a foot below the ground.

There were others who thought that the smell from the new gas works would harm them. They were the owners of the very large dry dock located at the tip of Blackwall Point. They claimed that the smell would damage the high class paint work on the boats which were in their dock for repair.  This point was raised at the House of Lords enquiry which was made into the site of the proposed gas works.  In answer Sir Edmund Beckett, QC, for the gas company, made what would today be considered an unacceptably racist remarks about the dry dock's owner. More reasonably he pointed out that the gas works would smell a lot better than the dock's existing neighbours, the Bisulphated Guano Company. Subsequently, the House of Lords made it a condition that before the works was built the gas company must buy the dry dock.

There were other requirements on the gas company before they were allowed to build the works. One was that they build the river wall on the eastern bank, and on the west bank provide Ordinance Draw Dock in return for an older public draw dock which would be demolished. A public footpath that had previously gone right round the river bank  was closed.  These changes did not please  'waterside people' who continued to cause 'difficulty' by insisting on their old rights of way. Docwra, the gas company's contractors, dealt with this by placing 'a gang of men' to 'divert this traffic'. Building work began very slowly. The contractors found access to the site difficult, describing it as 'a cul de sac - and approaches thereto were not inviting'.  They set up offices in Blakely Buildings, a small group of houses built for the workers of the short lived gun manufactury at Ordnance Wharf. That site was ordered to be purchased by the gas company, although it was partly occupied by the guano company.  The rest was derelict and 'useless great guns' lay all about, reminders of the failure of their manufacturer. Each of these would be worth many thousands of pounds today.

The centre of the peninsula, and most of the site on which the gas works was to be built was 'market gardens of poor quality'. The builders were constantly reminded of this by the 'sprouting of rhubarb' throughout the site. Other reminders of the rural past were the few remaining cows who lived in a shed which 'age had rendered rotten and insecure'. Perhaps the barn was the one that had been built on the field to the south of Riverway in 1815. This was of timber on a brick foundation with a thatched roof. Seventy years later it was, no doubt, showing its' age. One future gas works' employee was to remember that as a boy he had illicitly milked a cow into his cap on one hot summer afternoon. The resulting mess of 'milk, cream and hairs' led to a 'conversation' between his father and the cowkeeper.

Once the gas company contractors were on site any remaining cattle were impounded by two police kept for the purpose. Others who thought they might have rights there were gypsies for whom it was a 'happy dumping ground'.  With them the contractors were in a 'constant state of warfare'. During one such running battle, Joseph Tysoe, the future works manager, only escaped serious injury when his assistant grabbed a heavy iron bar aimed at his head.

As work  progressed,  Docwra brought on site 'extraordinarily powerful pumping apparatus' and took borings  to discover the state of the ground.  Barge after barge came loaded with clinker and heavy rubbish to use as infill, but it took 'a vast amount of effort to make a sensible impression on this wilderness'.

Slowly the works took shape. 'Looming vast against the sky is the skeleton of the great holder'. This is the holder still to be seen today alongside the Blackwall tunnel approach road. It was thought it would 'darken the sky like a mountain of iron'. The jetty too was taking shape, sinking as it was built. It was reported that  it was 'allowed to go as far as they would' until it became 'as firm as a rock'. 

East Greenwich gas works would soon become  the premier works in London.

Was Greenwich Marsh really such a dump? Was the river frontage really only 'scattered at intervals with factories devoted to evil smelling trades'? Many of those factories were, in their own fields, famous. One, which had evolved all the way from its origins in Samuel Enderby's 1830s rope walk, had handled the Atlantic cable. Their successors are still on site today. There had been some important innovators among the east Greenwich wharves - one, the engineer, Joshua Beale, had made steam cars, and there had been others like  Kuper who developed wire ropes. Some famous names had had sites at East Greenwich, Henry Bessemer and Maudslay Son and Field among them. Works were strung out around the Peninsula from Coles Child on the west bank to the flamboyant millionaire, Frank Hills , on the east.  Hills also occupied a large, and very important, tide mills at what was once, New East Greenwich. Interspersed between these were many river based trades who undertook the regular Thamesside traffic of cement, tar and barge building. The truth about Greenwich marsh was that it was a busy industrial area and its lack of access didn't matter to works that relied on barge transport.

East Greenwich gas works became world famous, and was once seen as an example of everything that was progressive in British industry. It must be ironic that in 1996 we are looking at the gas works site in just the same way as its builders looked on those they were to replace. 
 
 
This article is based on contemporary accounts and reminiscences mainly from Journal of Gas Lighting  and Co-partnership Journal. Some material is taken from the 1881 House of Lords Enquiry into the gas works site and other written and archival sources including Morden College.


Thursday, 14 February 2013

Damascus Steel


DAMASCUS STEEL
 
In January Blackheath Scientific Society welcomed as their speaker Mr Bush, who is a sword smith with workshops in Welling, Kent, and who also does general blacksmithying.

The following is an account of the meeting - but Mr Bush is returning to the Soceity for a more detailed illustrated talk on 17th January 2014. This will be at Mycenae House Community Centre,  90 Mycenae Road, Blackheath, SE3 7SE - at 7.45 so please go along and support them. This really is an interesting local industry

Mr Bush brought an impressive array of swords and a knife he had made, and used them to give us an introduction to the subject.

Damascus Steel is an intimate combination of iron with a high carbon content (steel) & a low carbon iron; the former can be sharpened to an edge but is brittle, while the latter is malleable.  A skilled sword smith can use it to get a good edge on a robust sword.

“Damascus” relates to that city being the early medieval trading centre for such swords.  Swords traded through Damascus could have been made there, or come from Persia or India – the process, where iron & steel are melted in a crucible, probably originated in India, but its intricacies have been lost.

The surface of Damascus Steel has a characteristic watery pattern.

Later the Scandinavians developed a “pattern welding” process: forging heated bars of each metal together by hammering them down to a thin sheet, then folding the sheet and hammering the two sides together, and repeating several times.  This process is still used, and is the one Mr Bush has been using.

and thanks to Richard Buchanan for permission to use his text

Monday, 11 February 2013

Borough Burial records


A chance visitor led to an enquiry to the Council Cemetaries Department about buriels in local cemetaries.   What has come back is a document which outlines some of the 'famous and infamous'.
Inevitably most of them are military and there is almost none which could be described as of industrial interest  - I have listed those with some sort of industrial connection and more information would be wonderful
 

Charlton Cemetery

Founded in 1855 as a ‘Gentleman’s Cemetery’ on land originally part of Sir Thomas Wilson’s Estate, it has barely changed since its Victorian layout was featured in the Illustrated London News in 1857. 
 
  • Numerous graves associated with the Royal docks including memorial to 52 who died of yellow fever on HMS Firebrand in 1861
  •  
  • Eltham Cemetery & Crematorium (aka Falconwood)
Opened 1935,


Greenwich Cemetery

  • Norwegian section
  • Nikolai Ogarev, Russian dissident, intellectual, poet. 

 Plumstead Cemetery

Opened 1890, like Greenwich Cemetery it good views across London and features an arched gateway.

  • Many graves and memorials to those killed at work in the Woolwich Royal Arsenal including one to the victims of the ‘Guncotton’ and ‘Lyddite’ explosions of 1913. A total of 16 men were killed and names are inscribed on the granite memorial by the chapel. 
  • Two former Mayors of Woolwich; Sir Edwin Hughes and Albert Gorman
  •  
  • Woolwich Cemetery
Founded in 1856, great London views.

  • Memorial to 120 victims from the Princess Alice disaster which sank in a collision on the Thames in 1878.  The disaster is the worst ever recorded on the Thames with over 600 victims.  Those who died were mostly poisoned due to pollution rather than drowning!
 
If you want information from the burial registers I am told:
 
The registers for all the cemeteries are currently held at Shooters Hill Depot and will shortly be relocated to the Heritage Centre. However, all the cemeteries registers 
havebeen scanned and are accessible to all on the Deceased Online website www.deceasedonline.com
 
(and thanks to Greenwich Parks Dept. for info)
 

 

Sunday, 10 February 2013

Convoys news



EMAIL RECEIVED FROM DEPTFORD IS - reproduced with their permission. All links are to Deptford Is sites  - not GIHS


 
...attending the Convoys Wharf public exhibition
Convoys Wharf developer Hutchison Whampoa has announced dates for a public exhibition of its revised masterplan. This will be our first chance to assess the new plans and see if Terry Farrell's pledge to listen to local voices has been heeded at all.

The exhibition dates are:
Thursday 28 February and Saturday 2 March.

Read our post for more information about the times and places. For a review of our campaign so far you can read the short history on the blog.

...working with local schools
The Sayes Court Garden project held a workshop last November with children from two local primary schools in Sayes Court Park, part of John Evelyn's original gardens and we hope to bring you news shortly of another very exciting event which is planned for the park later in the year.
 
...planning ahead  Once we have seen the revised masterplan proposals we will make our comments available on the Deptford Is... blog and will be inviting feedback from other parties and readers of the blog.

We know that our pages are read by many of the parties involved in the redevelopment plans - planning officers, local councillors and local MPs, and also staff from the developer Hutchison Whampoa and its architectural and engineering advisors - so we encourage you to comment on our blog as well as giving feedback at the open days.

...spreading the word
Please help to spread the word by forwarding this email to anyone you think might be interested in our campaign - neighbours, friends, family or colleagues.

 

Wednesday, 6 February 2013

More stuff in the post - GLIAS - WADAS

GLIAS NEWSLETTER

I was going to review items about Greenwich in the GLIAS newsletter - but the following link gives the entire text - plus some Greenwich pictures not in the original.


http://www.glias.org.uk/news/264news.html

This covers a list of sites of industrial interest published by the London Fieldwork and Publication Round up.  Greenwich sites mentioned include:
Crossrail Station, Woolwich
Royal Military Repository re. Napier Lines
Stockwell Street, malthouse
Air Raid Shelter, Waverley Road
Woolwich Station
Convoys Wharf

An article on the United Glass Works, Charlton - given in full through the link above.

A report - with pictures - the Lovells Wharf Thames path opening


WOOLWICH AND DISTRICT ANTIQUARIAN SOCIETY
NEWSLETTER

(sadly, no information on their web site address)

The newsletter contains a report of a talk by GIHS Chair Sue Bullevant, and Vice Chair, Andrew Bullevant, on Severndroog Castle.

The envelope also contains the papers for their AGM - and perhaps of most interest to GIHS is their Conservation Report by Sue Bullevant

Woolwich and Plumstead Cottage Hospital - restored and converted to flats
Equestrian Centre, Shooters Hill - going ahead despite objections
Alexander McLeod RACS building - reopened as a Travel Lodge
Art Deco Co-op - is to be converted to flats, but has been refused listing
Verbruggens House, the illegal signage is now with the Planning Inspectorate
Adair House - is surrounded by huts which are used by the 'free' school










Friday, 1 February 2013

GLIAS NEWSLETTER - advertised meetings

The GLIAS Newsletter is just through the door - more on its contents in a future post  - however - for the time being here are some of the meetings they are advertising.

20th March. GLIAS Lecture, Mary Mills on The Early History of the Gas Industry in London. Robin Brook Centre, St.Bartholomew's Hospital. 6.30

23rd March. There She Blows. Aspects of the London Whaling Trade. Booking via docklandshistorygroup.org.uk  This includes speakers on the Greenwich based Enderby family

1st April. Markfield Beam Engine Steam Day. 11-5 Markfield Road, South Tottenham, N15 (included because the adjacent cafe is a close relation to our own East Greenwich Pleasaunce cafe)

12-13th April. The Beating Heart of London's Business. Exploring Company Archives.  includes a contribution from Mary Mills on archives relevant to history on the Greenwich Peninsula. Organised by A2SN and hosted by London Metropolitan Archives and Museum of London in Docklands. R.A.Edwards@soton.ac.uk

21st April. Crossness Engines Public Steaming Day, 10.30-4.30  £5 www.crossness.org.uk

27th April SERIAC  South Eastern Region Industrial Archaeology Conference hosted by Kent Archaeological Society at Dartford Grammar School.  This includes:
Prof Alan Crocker on Gunpowder Industry of Kent
Richard Holdsworth on Ship Building in Kent
Malcolm Moulton on Historic Aircraft Restoration
Terry Young on the early years of J & E Hall
Jim Preston on the Cement Industry in Kent
Nick Kelly on Kentish Motor Cycle Manufacturers
Booking with cheque made out to Kent Archaeological Society, for £12 (£19.50 with lunch) to David Gordon, 319 Lordship Lane, SE228JH 

Pippenhall Farm - a short history


A short history of Pippinhall Farm

 
Pippinhall Farm, Bexley Road SE9, is an amazing relic of agricultural land. It is a network of small meadows and ancient hedgerows on Eocene strata; a river terrace of Blackheath Gravels overlying a spring line on Woolwich & Reading Beds.

The first specific written record is in 1290 when King Edward 2nd negotiated hay from John de Henley, the owner, to feed the royal deer at Eltham Palace during a very cold winter.

Pippinhall Farm lies in a valley drained by one of the headwater streams feeding the River Shuttle

The first evidence of human utilisation of the Pippinhall Valley is a Mesolithic concave scraper dropped by a hunter gatherer sometime around 7000 BC and discovered by a “Young Friend of Avery Hill Park” while hedge planting.

Since then the Bronze Age and Celtic, Eltham farmers have cleared the wet woodland and planted hedges around their fields. The oldest dateable hedges at Pippinhall are from 1370. There is a small relic of medieval “ridge and furrow” in the south east corner of the farm. This most probably dates from before the Black Death decimated the local population; when maximum arable land was needed to feed the locals and the Kings entourage at nearby Eltham Palace.

At present the ridge and furrow, an amazing piece of Eltham’s agricultural history, is being engulfed by Blackthorn scrub. The wet pastureland, presumably protected by the borough, is invaded by over 1200 square metres of Japanese Knotweed and large areas of blackberry thicket.

The present tenants are unable to keep pace with the encroaching scrub simply grazing their ponies in these precious meadows.

Royal Greenwich Parks and Open Spaces hope to commence clearing the knotweed with stem injection.

Bee Twidale